Friday, January 8, 2010

Quiet...Liz is sleeping

Today, I tried out a new rear tire. From the pictures you can see the second most noticable difference. It is bright orange.




However the biggest and most noticeable difference is the amount of noise that this tire makes when on the trainer. My outdoor tires make this horrible and loud rubber squeaky noise every time I put any amount of pressure on the peddle. This wouldn't be really annoying if I were only biking in 10 minute segments, but I usually bike for about an hour. That's 60 minutes at 80 revolutions per minute for each of my 2 feet. That's around 9600 squeaks per ride.

Liz started either leaving the apartment when I was riding or wearing her ipod whenever I was on the bike. I started to worry about disturbing the apartment above us. We usually keep our tv volume at 16 out of 100, and I was turning it up to 60 out of 100 in order to hear it while biking. I think you get the picture.

The new tire is geared towards indoor use. In fact, the tire itself is plastered with warning about using the tire only indoors. I guess the rubber composite is different, but it is indeed much much more quiet. It squeaked just a tad after 45 minutes of riding. Most importantly, it was quiet enough for Liz to take a nap without being disturbed. You can see how close the couch it to the bike in the picture. It reminded me of these old commercials. I can bike and Liz can sleep. The world is again in balance.


No comments: