Thursday, October 24, 2013

King of the Mountain

Today was group ride day. I told everyone at work what I was planning on doing so that I couldn't back out at the last second. That was actually a really good thing to do since it was another cold day with periodic rain. It was just a gloomy looking day. People were also complaining about the wind, but no one knows wind till you live in Indiana or Illinois. Anyway, after work I changed, and got on my way to the meeting point.

At this point I would like to mention that I was a little concerned that this ride didn't really exist. It was a gut feeling, but at the Go Outdoor Festival last weekend the bike shop owner told me that it was an ongoing ride and that he often went on it. I figured that was proof enough.

I pulled up to the bike shop all dressed up in my winter gear and instantly noticed that there were no other cyclist outside milling around. Of the many things cyclist are good at, are milling around and looking silly are at the top the list. I figured people were just inside. It was a nasty day after all. I went in the shop walked up to the counter and asked if this was where the group ride met. The guy looked at me and said, "Oh that ride hasn't been happening for weeks." So there I was all decked out, in a bike shop, looking stupid.

I bee lined it out of there and cut my losses. I drove up to the parkway and went on a ride out of spite more than anything else. I was the King of the Mountain on every hill that I came across. Jokes on everyone who didn't come to my group ride because it was amazing and had good scenery. The leaves were bright red, and I saw 5 or 6 deer. I also saw a groundhog and a police man, and as many people say on the internet, "picture or it didn't happen."

So here is my halfway point.




No comments: